More Melamine Madness

October 21st, 2008 · Accidents, Crimes and Scandals, Economy and Worklife, Health and Environment · 15 comments

This picture (which accompanied this article at Naver) shows the seven brands of barley cracker which have been found to contain too much melamine. Yes, all are made in China.

• I’m confused about the whole thing…

1) They protested against US Beef which when there is no evidence of BSE.

2) They have not protested against China when there is actual evidence of Melamine.

What’s up with that?

Dude · October 21st, 2008 at 4:40 AM

• Well, Dud, welcome to Korea…..

Gillian57 · October 21st, 2008 at 6:17 AM

• They don’t want to get China angry. That is why they are keeping quiet.

hahaha · October 21st, 2008 at 7:57 AM

• I wonder how much food with melamine in it, do you have to eat before it actually has an affect on you?

And to think Halloween is coming… I know Korea doesn’t really take part..but I am sure American candy may have traces of it.

joy · October 21st, 2008 at 8:21 AM

• 1) They protested against US Beef which when there is no evidence of BSE.

1- Last summer’s protests were orchestrated by 2MB’s opposition in the hopes that they could get him booted from office like how they did it in 2002. If they felt they could gain politically by setting up protests against China, it’d be done.

2- It’s getting too cold to have a midnight vigil. And that was last summer’s fad anyway…

William G · October 21st, 2008 at 8:59 AM

• Man, I just bought one of those cracker thingies the other day! Damn for trying new things.

Micha · October 21st, 2008 at 9:38 AM

• I also recently ate one of those cracker things. I feel fine. It was about 2 weeks ago. Is there a melamine hotline or anything I can call?

Matt · October 21st, 2008 at 10:01 AM

• I’m pissed off. I fed those crackers to my baby.

simone · October 21st, 2008 at 10:30 AM

• @Joy

I ate about half a bag of these crackers and I felt fine. I’ve been looking for data on this, but I’ve been unable to find any reliable information.

Possibly a silly question here, but is there anything to look for on packages? I know where to look for “Made in USA” info on American foodstuffs, but how can I tell if something has been made in Korea?

Matt · October 21st, 2008 at 11:52 AM

• […] it ain’t so!  From Naver (한국어 링크) and Korea Beat (영어링크): image courtesy […]

건빵 Catastrophe! - FatManSeoul · October 21st, 2008 at 12:25 PM

• damn I love those barley hardtack. also I might have eaten one of those yesterday…

Elise · October 22nd, 2008 at 11:48 AM

• They are pretty tasty. They’ll probably switch suppliers and get this problem behind them soon.

Korea Beat · October 22nd, 2008 at 11:56 AM

• It seems like we can’t trust any crackers these days. Maybe a cure for the obesity epidemic? Check out our melamine piece here: http://ratemyhagwon.com/2008/10/06/melamine-foods-china/

Rate My Hagwon · October 22nd, 2008 at 8:07 PM

• Dont trust any crackers and all thoses biscuits in the suppermarkets,it’s better we do it at home,it’s best way to give the babies NATURAL food at your home.

I dont take all of this kind of food,we dont know when and what they will find sth wrong with them in the fugture.dont you think so?

alina · October 22nd, 2008 at 8:30 PM

• As adults you should be worried more about the massive amounts of MSG in your Pizza School pizzas. It’s dangerous for the children, but probably not as dangerous as a Korean taxi driver.

Matt:
    Things made in Korea will say (국내산) in parenthesis somewhere near the ingredients list. Usually in slightly larger letters, and after a percentage.
    China – 중국산